Friday, October 5, 2012

A Bit of Everything Casserole Type of Post

Yep, this post is going to have a bit of this and that, just like the best casseroles.  It won’t however have the usual can of Cream of Mushroom soup.  Instead (since it’s been so long since I last posted) it does contain a bit of ketchup.  Get it??  Ketchup, catch up…  Yeah, that was horrible…

First, like I’ve done on my other two blogs, I should mention that it’s been a busy summer.  Not only did my wife finish up her PhD in Analytical Chemistry from the University of Wisconsin, but we also moved from Madison to the Twin Cities (of Minnesota) as she found a job here.  Also in between her getting her doctorate and moving, we went on a trip to Ireland for two and half weeks.  Looking back it was a strange moment in life – the hectic time of packing/moving from one place to another, but also having this relaxing “not-a-care-in-the-world” trip right in the middle of it.

Food wise, Joan and I had a lot of great food and drink experiences as we circumvented the green isle.  However, as I have too many good pictures to share, I’ll have to leave that for another post.  (I promise it will happen though because I already have a start on it.)  For now, here’s an Irish food teaser.  It’s a pic of a new recipe that has quickly become a favorite, Dingle Pies –




Although we never actually had them when we visited the town of Dingle, we thought this was a great meal to make while showing our Ireland pictures to both sets of parents.  Similar to a Cornish pasty, a Dingle Pie is a meal in itself, but of course is not a bad idea to have with a side salad of greens.  We found the recipe in an Irish cookbook and set upon making it a bit simpler, using refrigerated pie dough instead of making it from scratch.  Not needing to hold myself to more promises, I’ll be sure to share this recipe on the blog as well.

Besides new recipes, I’ve also been trying a new cooking technique – grilling!  Our new place has a ground level cement porch so we finally had the perfect spot for a grill.  We just bought a simple charcoal grill, a classic black Weber, but it’s already done wonders.  Whether it’s been burgers, hot dogs, chicken, or veggies, the grill has been a blast to use.  It’s also been great enjoying all the food from it, with the smoky charred taste that only charcoal can give.

Lastly I missed commenting at all back on August 15th, the day that would have been Julia Child’s 100th birthday.  Of course I’ve always been enamored with Julia Child.  I always think back at my college semester spent in Washington, DC when I interned at the Smithsonian.  At the Museum of American History they have reconstructed her kitchen from her home in Cambridge, Massachusetts.  Moved piece by piece from New England, it’s set out exactly how she had it.  There’s also a video monitor playing various moments from her TV shows.  I would just sit there, letting my eyes explore the kitchen and watching those classic moments of early culinary television.  Other visitors would move through, but I would remain for long periods, even through multiple cycles of the video monitor track.  I don’t exactly know what it is about Julia that I like so much, but to attempt to sum it up – she loves food, loves making food, but also makes cooking/baking approachable.  

With all that said, here’s a remix PBS made about Julia Child.  While I’m never sure if I should laugh or cry at what the creator of this video has done with Julia’s TV clips, I thought it was at least worth sharing.


No comments:

Post a Comment