Monday, November 7, 2011

Moon Pies

One of my favorite pre-packaged treats is the Moon Pie. Most people wouldn’t readily admit that they enjoy a confection that is easily found at gas stations, but I love the darn things. If you’re not familiar with them, Moon Pies are a sandwich treat made up of two graham cracker like cake rounds with a marshmallow filling in between. The whole sandwich is then dipped in a flavoring, chocolate being the traditional variety. They’re mostly a Southern thing (being produced in Chattanooga, TN), so much so that they are traditionally enjoyed with an RC Cola.

Now how did I, growing up in Iowa become attached to Moon Pies? Oddly enough, I experienced my first one on a trip to Washington to visit my brother and sister-in-law in the summer of 2004. Why a Southern region’s confection made it to the Northwest is beyond me, but nonetheless nearly every gas station we visited on our travels had them. I had heard of them before the trip but had never had one, so I made sure to get every flavor I could – chocolate, banana, and vanilla. Chocolate and banana were the best of the three and to this day remain my favorites.

Fast forward to January 2011, where I traveled to South Carolina to visit my wife’s aunt and uncle. Of course, upon going to the grocery store I made a beeline straight for the snack food aisle and attempted to find Moon Pie Shangri –la. Unfortunately, once I found the Moon Pies (which indeed did take up a lot of real estate in the aisle) they were all out of the normal pies. They did however have Mini Moon Pies (which I bought to bring back for my coworkers) and double-decker Moon Pies (of which I got two boxes, chocolate and banana).

Of course, upon returning home from the trip, I rationed that supply very carefully, eating at most one Moon Pie a day. With that said, I still only made it maybe the middle of February. However a few weeks ago before my birthday, I received a package from my wife’s aunt. At first struggling to think of what she might have sent me, I eventually came to the exclamatory thought, “Oooh, I hope it’s just a big box of Moon Pies!” Sure enough, my wife’s aunt and I are on the same wavelength and it was a box full over two dozen Moon Pies, a dozen chocolate and one dozen banana.

I can’t quite explain why I like the darn things. I’ve always liked graham crackers, so that probably helps. I guess then adding marshmallow and a chocolate coating only sweetens the deal. The banana coating isn’t for everyone but I enjoy a good banana cream pie and it reminds me slightly of that. The banana flavor for the Moon Pies isn’t as fake as many other banana flavored foods either.

Since they may be foreign to some folks (and my descriptions can only go so far), you may still want to visit the Wikipedia article or the Moon Pie official website.

They may still seem strange, but the next time you see a Moon Pie in a gas station, convenience store, or a grocery store, take a pass on the Twinkie, Snickers, or Nutty Bars and grab yourself a Moon Pie instead.

3 comments:

  1. "Eat Mo' Pie ... It's a Southern Thing". Did you know I have a Moon Pie t-shirt? I know... you're jealous. Gotta go.... gotta go and get myself a Moon Pie. I must be tired, what the hell am I talking about.
    Your Brother

    ReplyDelete
  2. an
    In addition, the shape of the purple sand pot changes, some such as flower goods rib grain device is morChina Purple Clay Teapote likely to produce tea stains deaYixing Purple Clay Teapot Setd space available soft bristle toothbrush plus cleaning, and the bottom of the pot is not easy to contact the tea pot handle often contains hand grease, easy to reject tea soup; In addition, the bottom edge of the drooling spout should be carefully polished. All these small details are taken care of by the owner
    Why does purple sand pot need to adjust sand ?
    When many pot friends first came into contact with zisha pot, thPurple Clay Teapot With Infuserey had some questions like: why do you want to mix sand in zisha pot? Is pure bad? Adjusted sand he orHandmade Ceramic Teapot is not really purple sCheap Ceramic Teapotsand? Why burn it twice? Can't you burn it? I believe a lot of friends who just contacted the pot have this idea
    The so-called sand is, is in practice when adding a certaAuthentic Purple Clay Teapotin proportion of raw mud or coarse or fine cooked (or half-cooked) sand (note: cooked sand, burned purple sand mud, do not contain chemical raw materials) in f

    ReplyDelete
  3. m, pot table texture and intense, a lot of sand works is also very beautiful, especially after the wrapped slurry, not the same
    Wrong way to raise pChina Purple Clay Teapoturple sand pot?
    Raise a good pot, need time, also need to use pot of person of good raise pot habit someYixing Purple Clay Teapot Set peopPurple Clay Teapot With Infuserle pour tea soup on the pot when making tea, do not brush do not brush, thiHandmade Ceramic Teapotnk pot doused a few times more, can absorb a few nutrition more long but these raise pot method is wrong
    However, as time goes by, the pot is covered with an uneven layer of tea dirt, and the surface of the pot becomes greasy and black without aesthetic feeling. Or people dry the pot repeatedly with tea towel when the pot is dry, but they don't realize that such friction will easily cause certain damage to the pot. The pot needs to be cleaned when the pot is wet, so that the tea juice can be fully absorbed by the pot
    Some people like to play with the teapot diCheap Ceramic Teapotsrectly by rubbing it with their hands, thinking that iAuthentic Purple Clay Teapott is easier to lather the teapot, but the hands will often leave swe

    ReplyDelete