Sunday, April 18, 2010

Julia, how could you?!?!

A day after posting my ideas for a porch garden, I read an article in the New York Times that dropped an atom bomb on my little foodie world. Julia Child hated cilantro and arugula. Quoting the article, she "would pick it out if I saw it and throw it on the floor." You can read the full NY Times article here.

The article discusses how many people have a rudimentary disgust for cilantro's flavor - Mrs. Child included unfortunately. Yes, I know, Julia was the master of French cooking, which doesn't typically involve cilantro or arugula. And yes, as Joan said to me, "Honey, everybody has to dislike something, right?" As rational as those facts may be, I don't know if I can just let it be. Next time I mince cilantro for some pico de gallo or eat a summery arugula salad, I'll think "Julia wouldn't have liked this." Or the next time I watch an episode of The French Chef, I know two of my favorites, arugula and cilantro, won't be in the ingredient list.

WWJD - What Would Julia Do, just won't have the same weight as before.

No comments:

Post a Comment